A location largely determines the appearance of an event and the atmosphere in which the programme is experienced by the guests.
When choosing a location, let all factors play a role and keep the objectives of the event in mind.
Below are a number of tips and ideas in the search for the most suitable event location.
Atmosphere and ambience of the location
- What feeling does the event location convey?
- Does the location match the objectives of the event in terms of atmosphere and appearance (objective, theme, target group, etc.)?
- Is the location easily accessible (car, public transport,…)?
- Are there any road changes (planned)?
- Should road signs be provided?
- How congested is the location?
- Is there sufficient parking space?
- Is there parking space for artists near the entrance?
- Is a parking attendant needed?
- How long is the distance between the venue and the car park? Is a shuttle service required?
- Is the car park and approach route sufficiently illuminated?
- If there is public parking in the vicinity, will parking tickets be provided for guests?
- Is it necessary to reserve parking spaces on the public road?
- Does the location have sufficient capacity for the number of guests?
- What is the maximum number of people allowed?
- Are there several rooms available?
Rule of thumb number of persons per m²:
Meetings and conferences
- Theatre set-up: 0.5m²/person
- School set-up: 1,5m²/person
- Cabaret set-up: 1m²/person
- Square formation: 0.5m²/person
- U-shape: 1m²/person
- Reception: 1m²/person
- Seated dinner: 1.5 to 2m²/person
- Party: 1.5m²/person
- What if more/less guests register?
- Is the location expandable by tents?
- Does the location have extra rooms (simultaneous translation, break-out sessions, storage space, dressing rooms/lodges, VIP area,…)?
- Is the hall accessible for the disabled?
- Is the location equipped audiovisually?
- Is there a free choice of technical supplier?
- Is there a stage?
- Is there space to place a stage?
- Are there any lounges near the stage?
- Is the surface suitable as a dance floor?
- Does a (wooden) dance floor need to be laid?
- Provide 10% to 20% of the total area as dance floor.
- What about the acoustics?
- Do you need an adapted sound system?
Electricity and water
- Is the total power capacity sufficient?
- Are there several power groups (catering, technical,…)?
- Is electricity already present in the necessary places (kitchen, stage,…)?
- Are there enough power sockets?
- Is there running water available?
Are there enough toilets available? Rule of thumb for the number of toilets:
- One toilet per 150 simultaneous visitors and a minimum of 2 toilets.
- A toilet is reachable within 150m.
- Do toilet trucks need to be installed?
- Are there toilet ladies present?
- What materials are available (cleaning cloths, air freshener, toilet paper,…)?
- Is there an air conditioning system?
- How is it heated?
- What temperature guarantees?
- Is there a cloakroom?
- Does the cloakroom have cloakroom tickets?
- Is there a cloakroom staff?
- Is it possible to deliver and remove goods, even during the event without inconveniencing guests?
- Is there a need for a technical corridor?
- What are the catering possibilities? Reception, standing, sitting?
- Is there a sufficiently equipped kitchen available?
- Any restrictions in the kitchen, e.g. no cooking with gas?
- Free choice of caterer? If not, buy-out fee?
- What are the overnight accommodation options near the venue?
- Is an exclusive hire of the venue possible?
- Can other events take place at the same time in other rooms?
- Is it possible to take an option on the location?
- What are the general hire conditions/cancellation options?
- What is the rental price? Is there a difference between build-up/dismantling days and event days?
- What exactly is included?
- Are extra hours charged?
- What are the payment terms?
- Does the location comply with safety regulations?
- Are there enough emergency exits? Are the emergency exits properly marked?
- Are there fire extinguishers?
- Is there an evacuation plan?
- Are there any disturbing elements in the vicinity of the venue (environmental noise, bad neighbourhood, etc.)?
- Rules on permitted sound volume?